Friday 27 September 2013

Happy Geek

I worry from time to time that I'm too old to be a comic book nerd. I'm thirty one years old and I have an Avengers phone case and pencil case (I don't even own pencils), a glossy print of Robert Downey Jr as Iron Man (swoon!), an Avengers window sticker and lots of Marvel comics. Oh and I may have several t-shirts. Ten years ago I'd pee with laughter at the thought of being such a nerd, but nowadays I pee with excitement at the thought of being such a nerd. I get butterflies when I see trailers for Marvel movies. The fact that all the guys in the Avengers team are completely humptastic is, of course, nothing to do with it *ahem*.

I reckon that, subconsciously, part of the attraction is the fantasy of men who can protect and save whilst staying honourable. Captain America; strong, true-hearted, brave, respectful towards women and jolly good-mannered! You'd definitely take ole Cap to meet your mum. Then you have Tony Stark; great looking (it's R.D.J, I'm biased!), richer than Midas, funny, brave. Ok, so he's a bit arrogant, but who wouldn't be when you've got skills like that?? Thor, or should I say "Phwoar"! Well....need I say more? (I didn't actually intend for that rhyme to happen, I'm quite impressed). Basically, it's every quality we find an extreme rarity in real life.

Outside of the films and into the comics you have an array of talent, with plenty of bad boys for all you women who like to pick the wrong types! I'm busting to get to Comic-Con if only just to get amongst fellow nerds in their Marvel costumes! God, the thought of Comic-Con actually made me smile, I definitely just hit the nerd alert button. 

It certainly makes me smile when I think of how I used to mock the spotty little nerds at school. I never entertained the thought of dating them, I never entertained the thought of being so "sad" as to spend my nights chatting about comic books. If any of them knew me now I would definitely get a few raised eyebrows and smug looks. Plus I bet they're almost as hot as Tony Stark and Steve Rogers nowadays. Damn.

I've thought many times about what my special power would be if I were a superhero. Don't judge me; I bet you've all done the same! I keep changing my mind. Sometimes I think invisibility would be the coolest power to have, I don't need to explain to you why (where did you say Michael Bublés dressing room was again...?). But then I think telekinetic powers would be pretty awesome too. Coincidently, you know you're becoming a geek when you use the word awesome. To move things around with my mind and see the shock and confusion on peoples faces would be hilarious. But that wouldn't make me a proper superhero, that'd make me a nuisance. To have the super-fit skills of Natasha Romanoff, the precision shooting skills of Hawkeye, the power to heal like the Scarlet Witch, to be able to fly like Iron Man, telepathic/telekinetic powers of Jean Grey; I'd have a whole series of comics dedicated especially for me! It's a whole world of fantasy that's a whole world better than the day to day trivial matters we deal with on a daily basis. Escapism; never underestimate it.

I may be a nerd now, but I'm pretty sure I was cool once. Then again, who's to say what's cool and what's not? I think multi-millionaire Stan Lee is the answer to that question.

1 comment:

  1. Female nerds are definitely cool! We have imagination. We tend to be very accepting of people and ideas. We aren't limited to this dull world! And you forgot Bruce! He's a super-scientist with an awesome alter-ego. Smart is sexy. Ruffalo's Banner can come and save me from boredom with his big beautiful brain. (and face, and everything)

    ReplyDelete